About Me

My Photo
We met in April of 2008 at BYU-Idaho. 4 months later we were married in the Salt Lake LDS Temple on August 22, 2008. We moved to Colorado in June of 2010, bought our first house there in 2013. And now we have moved to Las Vegas, NV to start our next adventure. We have two active boys with a little girl on the way!

Thursday, June 3, 2010

KitchenAid Cover

When we were looking at KitchenAid's I saw that they had covers online, but they were like $20-$30 so I figured I could just make one myself. Our kitchen is black and red, so I got a black KitchenAid so that I can change the color scheme later on and a bright red one would not stick out. So I made a red cover. I was going to follow this tutorial at Make It And Love It, but I found this one this morning. The pattern is at About.com and I got the idea for the pocket at Homemade by Jill. I bought the material about two weeks ago just at Walmart for like $2/yd. The tutorial tells you to use quilted fabric, but I just used what I had on hand. So I added some batting to the fabric because it was just a thin cotton, and I didn't have quite enought to cut double the amount of fabric, so the underside is just the cotton batting, but you don't see it. I also did not have piping, so I just skipped that step. I am really happy with how it turned out. It is not perfect of course, because I am just a novice sewer, but it is my first, as time goes I am sure that I will make others and they will improve over time. The great thing was that I already had batting, thread, and the bias tape before bying the fabric so it probably only cost between $4-$5 if you include all the materials. Pretty good.
I like the idea of the pockets and that I can keep some of the attachments in them. Of course, adding the bow was my own personal touch :).

1 comment :

  1. Very cute, you will be a great sewer in no time. Practice makes perfect!

    ReplyDelete